Saturday, September 25, 2010

Brioche rant

Ok, So after I made the brioche yesterday, I was very pleased with myself. But I STILL didn't know what brioche was meant to taste like oh what its texture was like. All I knew was that my brioche looked like it did on the picture and that it was crumbly. Believe it or not, I hadn't tasted it as per usual.

Today, the boyfriend and I went for breakfast at a well known french bakery in Kingston. They have DELICIOUS breakfast and I was keen on finding out what brioche tasted like. So after I finished my breakky, I went to the display area and looked for tags with the word 'Brioche' on it.
There was nothing. So my voice full of uncertainly, I asked if they had brioche in which the snobby waitress pointed out to the stack of muffin blob like breads in front of me.

I bought one and was thoroughly confused. Wasn't Brioche meant to be a loaf? CONFUSION! I quickly tasted one and found that this brioche was quite different. It was airy and light and pulled apart well, it was almost like a croissant. Was mine like that? When I got home, I broke a piece of my own brioche and tasted it. My one had a similar taste and texture yet it was a lot more dense and crumbly.

This has made me more determined to get the same texture even if it is in the shape of a loaf!

I am currently waiting for my dough to rise (AGAIN). This time, following the recipe found in 'Baking with Julia Child' cooking book. It is quite different and uses different ingredients and methods. I also found out from the book that there brioche can be made into these blob muffin like shapes, but as i do not have the right molds, back to loaf shape it is.

I will have the pictures and recipe soon! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment